The Business of Property follows the journey of two entrepreneurs working in the property world.
Stuart is a property investor with a focus on HMOs, mostly for the student market. He prefers a hands-off approach with most of his investment properties being remote.
Simon has a small portfolio of vanilla buy-to-let properties that he mostly self-manages. To make his property management easier he created Property and Tenant Manager.
Simon and Stuart, along with guests, discuss the ups and downs they're experiencing in their property businesses. Along the way they share property news, business tips and anything else that happens to crop up their weekly chats.
Popular episodes include:
- Property investment terms - great if you're just getting started in property and need some help understanding the common jargon.
- Property strategy terms - another jargon busting episode that's great if you're early in your property journey or considering changing your property strategy.
- Changes for landlords in 2020 - every year brings new regulations to the property sector and 2020 is no different, listen to this episode to hear some of the major changes and check the show notes for details on others.
- Other great (property) podcasts - what have Stuart and Simon been listening to recently and recommend in the podcast world, not just property related.
- Less property but relevant to everyone is a discussion on time management.
- Last but not least are a couple of episodes that talk about angel investing and property finance more widely.
November 25th, 2020 | 23 mins 59 secs
Stuart and Simon provide updates on their recent property experiences and chat about viewings, mortgages and the stamp duty holiday (again).
November 18th, 2020 | 18 mins 27 secs
Emma joins Simon and Stuart once again to chat about the world (and property market) from her view running an estate agency.
November 11th, 2020 | 26 mins 24 secs
Simon and Stuart chat through a couple of graphs showing how the property market has behaved so far this year.
November 4th, 2020 | 23 mins 40 secs
Stuart and Simon discuss a Covid-19 influenced viewing experience, stamp duty and the speed (or not) of completing a sale.
October 28th, 2020 | 35 mins 14 secs
This week the chat is focussed around auctions, advertised property prices and agent fees; with a few updates thrown in along the way.
October 21st, 2020 | 40 mins 31 secs
Simon and Stuart are joined by Tom Soane to chat about some of Tom's experiences in property, from how he got started to his current projects.
October 14th, 2020 | 31 mins 9 secs
This week is a chat around asking tenants to leave, evictions and some alternative approaches to solving problems. Stuart and Simon also discuss the "tsunami" of homelessness the reopened courts are about to cause!
October 7th, 2020 | 27 mins 27 secs
Simon and Stuart chat about a recent article in the Financial Times claiming property transactions are increasing thanks to the stamp duty holiday. Show notes include a link to the source data.
September 30th, 2020 | 29 mins 39 secs
Stuart and Simon actually manage to chat about property training, without getting sidetracked. Listen to last weeks episode for the first part of the property training chat, then get the deeper dive in this episode.
September 23rd, 2020 | 25 mins 23 secs
Simon and Stuart attempt to talk about "property training" and "property courses" but accidentally end up chatting about doing your own viewings for prospective tenants and the apparent high demand for London short term lets.
September 16th, 2020 | 24 mins 10 secs
Stuart talks about his problem tenant situation and the current tenant eviction rules which seem to be the subject of weekly government announcements at the moment.
September 9th, 2020 | 27 mins 50 secs
Stuart and Simon chat about their (very) long-term goals and how their portfolios might change as they get older, perhaps even providing a form of "exit strategy".