The Business of Property follows the journey of two entrepreneurs working in the property world.
Stuart is a property investor with a focus on HMOs, mostly for the student market. He prefers a hands-off approach with most of his investment properties being remote.
Simon has a small portfolio of vanilla buy-to-let properties that he mostly self-manages. To make his property management easier he created Property and Tenant Manager.
Simon and Stuart, along with guests, discuss the ups and downs they're experiencing in their property businesses. Along the way they share property news, business tips and anything else that happens to crop up their weekly chats.
Popular episodes include:
- Property investment terms - great if you're just getting started in property and need some help understanding the common jargon.
- Property strategy terms - another jargon busting episode that's great if you're early in your property journey or considering changing your property strategy.
- Changes for landlords in 2020 - every year brings new regulations to the property sector and 2020 is no different, listen to this episode to hear some of the major changes and check the show notes for details on others.
- Other great (property) podcasts - what have Stuart and Simon been listening to recently and recommend in the podcast world, not just property related.
- Less property but relevant to everyone is a discussion on time management.
- Last but not least are a couple of episodes that talk about angel investing and property finance more widely.
September 23rd, 2020 | 25 mins 23 secs
Simon and Stuart attempt to talk about "property training" and "property courses" but accidentally end up chatting about doing your own viewings for prospective tenants and the apparent high demand for London short term lets.
September 16th, 2020 | 24 mins 10 secs
Stuart talks about his problem tenant situation and the current tenant eviction rules which seem to be the subject of weekly government announcements at the moment.
September 9th, 2020 | 27 mins 50 secs
Stuart and Simon chat about their (very) long-term goals and how their portfolios might change as they get older, perhaps even providing a form of "exit strategy".
September 2nd, 2020 | 26 mins 39 secs
Which should you buy - leasehold or freehold? Simon and Stuart discuss their experiences and evolving thinking on this important property decision.
August 26th, 2020 | 28 mins 38 secs
Updates and chat from Stuart and Simon; talking about title changes, selling and dealing with cladding on flats.
August 19th, 2020 | 27 mins 55 secs
Simon opens with his "extensive" updates before Stuart and Simon chat a little about title splitting and lots about rent-to-rent.
August 12th, 2020 | 31 mins 7 secs
This week is a deep dive into Stuart's current HMO refurbishment project.
August 5th, 2020 | 25 mins 10 secs
The property chat this week starts with stamp duty holidays and wanders through Land Registry title changes and on
to selling a couple of flats.
July 29th, 2020 | 25 mins 41 secs
July 22nd, 2020 | 28 mins 3 secs
Simon and Stuart talk over Stuart's updates and recent experiences with estate agents, banks and more.
July 15th, 2020 | 26 mins 59 secs
Stuart and Simon chat about their thinking as they approach a changing property market outlook, and how they could approach it better.
July 8th, 2020 | 25 mins 17 secs
Simon and Stuart would like to know what you always "accidentally" pick up when visiting IKEA? They also talk a bit about property, especially student HMOs.